As you may know, I’m all about green smoothies for breakfast. I used to have cold smoothies for breakfast all year long, even in freezing temperatures during winter months- and I would wonder why I couldn’t warm up! Through studying Ayurveda and Macrobiotics I’ve come to learn how important it is to sync up with the seasons in order to maintain balance, which is crucial to having a healthy immune system, glowing skin, positive attitude, etc.
I love topping my green smoothies with superfoods (cacao nibs, coconut, nuts, seeds, etc.) and today I’m excited to share my winter version: Superfood Oatmeal. Coconut manna makes the oatmeal super creamy and the toppings add the perfect contrast of crunch. This warm dish is packed with fiber and protein so it will leave you feeling warm and energized for the day.
makes 2 servings
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs coconut manna
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 2 tbs cacao nibs
- 2 tbs chopped cashews (or nut of your choice)
- 2 tbs dried unsweetened coconut
- Bring water and oatmeal to simmer in a small pot on the stove.
- Stir in coconut manna, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and continue to simmer (stirring throughout) until liquid is absorbed.
- Serve into bowls and top with cacao, nuts and dried coconut. Enjoy right away!
For even more protein and fiber mix in ground flax seeds and drizzle with peanut butter…