This week in New York City it’s been particularly hot so when one of my dear friends hosted a picnic I wanted to bring a dessert that would be cool and refreshing. Enter Raw Key Lime Pie! Creamy, crunchy, sweet and tart- key lime pie is one of summer’s most refreshing treats. With coconut crust and avocado filling, this pie is like visiting a tropical islands for your taste buds!
Because I needed to transport the pie from Brooklyn to Manhattan on the subway, I used a large glass storage bowl instead of a traditional pie dish. It didn’t look quite as elegant but the pie made it to the picnic injury free!
Raw Key Lime Pie
makes 1 pie
What you’ll need:
For the crust-
- 1 cup almonds, soaked 8 hours
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbs coconut manna(can substitute coconut oil)
- 1 tbs agave
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filing-
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 2 avocados
- juice of 2 limes
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbs agave (or 6-8 dates, soaked)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
*optional- 2 tbs dried unsweetened coconut and blueberries to sprinkle on top
- Combine all ingredients for crust in blender or food processor until mostly smooth. I like the crust to have a little texture so I don’t blend all the way. Press mixture into bottom of pie dish.
- Combine all ingredients for filling in blender or food processor until completely smooth. This should take about 2 minutes. If you’re having difficulty getting the mixture totally smooth try adding a splash or two of almond milk.
- Pour filling on top of crust in pie dish. Sprinkle dried coconut and blueberries (and whatever else you like!) on top and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy!