There’s no better comfort food than a big bowl of creamy soup, but often blended soups are made with heavy cream and dairy products that leave us feeling overly full and uncomfortable- the opposite of comforted! For a truly nourishing dish that’s naturally creamy, savory and a little sweet, try my recipe for Caramelized Onion Sweet Potato Soup topped with Tofu Sour Cream.
This soup may taste complex, but it’s actually quite simple to make and has a short list of ingredients. I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week and have a cup with dinner each night. The Tofu Sour Cream is a recipe I originally made for a veggie taco night but I found myself adding to everything. It’s slightly tart, so it’s a great compliment to the sweetness of the soup. Sweet potatoes are a magic veggie because in addition to containing tons of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, they high are in fiber and are known to help reduce water retention. Try this soup on a night when you’re feeling bloated and you should feel better by the morning!
Caramelized Onion Sweet Potato Soup
makes 4 bowls or 6 cups
- 4 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1″ pieces (and peeled if not organic)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs gluten-free tamari
- 2 tsp agave
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot at medium-high. Add onion and garlic and saute, making sure to stir often. After 5 minutes turn heat down to medium-low, cover and stir every 2 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add 3 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes cook for 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat and let pot sit until cool enough to handle. Combine in blender until completely smooth (you may need to do this in two batches). Return blended mixture to pot.
- Turn heat to low and add tamari, agave, salt and pepper. Serve warm and top with Tofu Sour Cream.
Tofu Sour Cream
What you’ll need:
- 1 package extra-firm silken tofu
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp agave
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. Add to all your favorite dishes!
*To add a fancy touch- use a pastry bag or spoon some of the sour cream into a plastic bag, cut off the tip of one corner of the bag and apply a sour cream decoration!