If you’ve browsed through the recipe index this blog you may have noticed that I’ve definitely posted more dessert recipes than any other category. I think it’s fair to say that I inherited my love of sweet treats and all things chocolate from my mom! This week was my mom’s birthday and I had been planning to surprise her with Erin McKenna’s “Tripe Chocolate Fat Pants Cake”. If you aren’t familiar with Erin, she started Babycakes– the amazing all vegan, mostly gluten-free and sugar-free bakeries. The NYC location has been a favorite spot of ours for years, but since we celebrated her birthday in Florida I wanted to bring Babycakes to her! You can find the recipe for the cake (and so much more!) in the Babycakes cookbook.
My mom follows a mostly vegan diet and as a birthday gift I gave her the book Vegan for Her by Virgina Messina. It’s one of the few books tailored specifically to women’s health on a vegan diet. It’s a fantastic resource and a must-read for lady vegans!
A couple of weeks ago I posted a recipe a recipe for Cashew Cacao Cookie Dough Dip and as soon as it went up my mom had requested I make her a batch. Since birthdays in our family are often celebrated for an entire week (hey, more cake!) I made these Mini Cookie Dough Cookie Sandwiches as a pre-birthday celebration.
The cookies I used are a more chocolatey variation on my basic almond flour cookie recipe. I like using almond flour (as opposed to gluten-free baking mix etc.) because it’s higher in protein, and the cookies are sweetened with just a little agave so they are not too sweet.
I’m happy so say the cookie sandwiches were a big hit! They are the perfect combination of chewy, crunchy, smooth and they are totally cute! For a classic chocolate chip cookies, follow the recipe below and omit the cocoa powder.
Mini Cookie Dough Cookie Sandwiches
makes 8 cookie sandwiches
What you’ll need:
- 1 batch of Cashew Cacao Cookie Dough Dip
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbs agave
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup carob, grain-sweetened chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix together dry ingredients- almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl combine wet ingredients- coconut oil (softened), agave and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add in carob or chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into small balls about 1″ thick and place on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper. There should be enough dough for 16 cookies. Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes, until cookies are slightly browned on edges.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, make sandwiches by spreading about 1 tbs of Cashew Cacao Cookie Dough Dip between two cookies. Store in refrigerator and enjoy!