Last week at The Colorful Kitchen we made Banana Truffles and since then I have been munching on these little guys a lot! After enjoying them as a post-workout snack the other day, I began to wonder how I could make them into an even better energy food with more protein…and the Power Truffles were born!
This recipe calls for the same base ingredients at the Banana Truffles, but includes protein powder, maca, cocoa and dried coconut. Hemp is always my protein powder of choice. It’s slightly nutty but very neutrally flavored and you’ll barely even taste it in this recipe.
If you aren’t familiar with maca powder, it’s a superfood from Peru that’s known to boost stamina, provide energy and balance hormones. It’s also really helpful in combatting PMS symptoms (hey ladies!).
makes 9 truffles
What you’ll need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup hemp protein powder
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 2 tbs maca powder
- 2 tsp agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- pinch of salt
- Mash banana with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Chop cashews into small pieces.
- Stir all ingredients (except dried coconut) into bowl with banana and combine until smooth.
- Wet hands and roll mixture into balls about 1″ in diameter. Pour dried coconut onto a small plate and roll each ball around the plate to coat in coconut.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. Truffles should stay good for 3-4 days.
To make these a little more decadent, top with a drop of coconut butter!