It’s no secret that I love to sip my greens but lately I’ve been trying to slow my mornings down by turning my smoothies into smoothie bowls. Beginning the morning by sitting down and enjoying breakfast with a spoon (which I wrote about in this post) has helped my day start off in a much more calm and centered way (plus they are super delicious!).
I really like adding granola to my green smoothie bowls and there are tons of great options for store-bought raw granolas, but unfortunately they can be quite expensive. I’m currently working on a raw buckwheat granola recipe but until it’s ready to share here’s a list of a few of my favorite store bought options:
- Hemp and Greens (this is what’s in the photos, look for it in the bulk section at Whole Foods)
- Go Raw
- Two Moms in the Raw (they also make great granola bars)
Today I would like to share a simple recipe for a green smoothie bowl that has the perfect harmony of textures. You’ll notice this Good Morning Granola Green Smoothie Bowl recipe calls for coconut butter (aka coconut manna) as a topping. At room temperature coconut butter is malleable and it becomes solid at colder temperatures. Make sure stir it well or warm it to drizzle on your smoothies and once it touches the coldness of the smoothie it will harden to the consistency of a chocolate bar.
Good Morning Granola Green Smoothie Bowl
makes 2 servings
What you’ll need:
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 2 tbs ground flax
- 1/4-1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup granola
- 2 tbs coconut butter
- 2 tbs unsweetened dried coconut
- Combine bananas, spinach, flax, almond milk and ice in blender until smooth. Pour into bowls.
- Stir coconut butter until liquified and drizzle on top of smoothies. Place the smoothies in the freezer for 1 minute to harden the coconut butter. Remove and top with granola and dried coconut. Serve right away!