Often our bodies will crave sugar and foods that aren’t the best for us when we’re feeling fatigued. Today’s Chocolate Avocado Power Smoothie will help you power through those kinds of days- it’s thick and chocolatey and will provide you with all-day energy.
This recipe calls for avocado, which is one of my favorite foods to eat when I’m feeling low on energy. It’s filled with monosaturated fat (the good fat!) which is known to help regulate blood sugar levels, so it will keep you feeling full and prevent an energy crash.
We’re also adding maca to the smoothie, which is a powder made from a root originating in Peru. Lately there has been a lot of hype about maca powder, and before I tried it I didn’t believe it could be as powerful as people claim. At this point I’ve been using maca powder in smoothies for the past year (about 3x per week) and I have to say it’s pretty awesome. Adding 1/2- 1 tablespoon to my morning smoothie provides long-lasting energy throughout the day, and it’s especially great before working out or any type of athletic activity.
Chocolate Avocado Power Smoothie
makes 2 servings
What you’ll need:
- 1 avocado
- 1 frozen banana (make sure to put in freezer at least 3 hours ahead)
- 1 tbs maca powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond)
- 2 dates or 1 tbs agave
- optional- raw cacao nibs (sprinkle these on top if you like a little crunch!)
- Combine all ingredients until smooth. Add dates or agave to sweeten if desired. Top with raw cacao nibs and enjoy right away!