Hi Friends! Can you believe Vegan Mofo is over and it’s already October?! Working on new smoothie recipes all month was awesome but now I’m very excited to get back to sharing all sorts of recipes with you…like these Coconut Thumbprint Cookies!
The base of these cookies is a slightly more coconutty version of the almond flour cookies in my Mini Cookie Dough Cookie Sandwiches. I usually opt for almond flour over other gluten-free flours because it’s higher in protein, plus I like the added nutty taste. I designed the recipe using three tablespoons of agave but I’ve found that I’m happy just using two (I like my desserts flavorful but not too sweet). With coconut butter, nut butter or unsweetened fruit spread on top, there are no ingredients to feel guilty about in treat cookies so try them for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or dessert!
Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
makes 10-12 cookies
What you’ll need:
For the cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbs agave
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup carob, grain-sweetened chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- coconut butter
- nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.)
- unsweetened fruit spread (I used raspberry)
- dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix together dry ingredients- almond flour, dried coconut, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl combine wet ingredients- coconut oil (softened), agave and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add in carob or chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into small balls about 1″ thick and place on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper. Use your thumb to press an indent in the center of the cookies. Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes, until cookies are slightly browned on edges.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, fill center indent with your choice of peanut butter, coconut butter and fruit spread. Sprinkle with dried coconut. Enjoy right away or store in refrigerator.