Last week my recipe for Warm Kale and Quinoa Salad was published on MindBodyGreen.com. It’s a super simple dish but it ended up having more social media shares than anything I’ve published anywhere before- over 22,000! I’m guessing it’s because people often think that preparing kale takes way more effort than putting a sandwich together and this recipe is an example of how quick and easy it can be to enjoy your greens.
Today I thought I would share another variation of a warm kale salad. During the summer I’m more than happy to have a big salad of fresh veggies almost everyday for lunch, but during the cold winter months I tend to go for a heartier, more warming lunch dish. The warm kale salad above (recipe here) and Sautéd Green Salad below are two variations on my favorite winter lunch.
Sautéd Green Salad
makes 2 servings
What you’ll need:
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 4 cups kale, removed from stems and rinsed
- 1 tbs tamari (or soy sauce if gluten-free isn’t needed)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium, add broccoli and edamame and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and tamari and cook another 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Transfer to plates, top with avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Enjoy right away!
There you have it! This dish is also great drizzled with tamari or with a side of brown rice or quinoa. What’s your favorite winter lunch?