Recently I shared the recipe for my Carrot Cake Oatmeal Bars and today I’m excited to share another variation on the traditional granola bar. Today’s 2-Layer Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Bars may look and taste like a dessert but they are secretly nutritious enough for breakfast. I think they also make the perfect afternoon snack because they are filled with fiber from oats, chi and flax seeds with a hint of chocolately, coconutty sweetness.
2-Layer Chocolate Coconut Bars
makes about 8 bars
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free oats)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tbs ground flax seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tbs agave
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 3 tbs unsweetened shredded coconut
- optional- cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 8″ x 8″ baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, chia seeds and salt. In a small bowl mix together milk, agave, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Add wet ingredients to large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Divide batter into two separate bowls. Mix cocoa powder into one bowl and coconut into the other.
- Spread batter with cocoa evenly over bottom of baking dish. Spread coconut batter over first layer. Sprinkle with cacao nibs (if using)
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely (you can pop it in the refrigerator to speed this up).
- Once completely cool, use a sharp knife to cut into bars. Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.