Today I’m super excited about two things. The first is this recipe for Cauliflower Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy. It’s seriously delicious, plus it’s a part of the second thing I’m excited about… the release of my 21-Day Colorful Kitchen Meal Plan! The program provides recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, plus weekly shopping lists, snacks and desserts. Feel free to click on the photo below to learn more!
Today’s Cauliflower Steak recipe is one of the 21 dinner recipes included in the plan. Between cauliflower crust pizza and mashed cauli-tatoes (recipes coming soon), I’m a little obsessed with cauliflower right now. I love this dish because it’s so simple yet super tasty. I like to serve it with a side of brown rice or steamed broccoli.
Cauliflower Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy
makes 4 servings
- 1 head of cauliflower, sliced into “steaks” 3/4″- 1″ thick
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbs non-dairy butter (I used earth balance)
- 1 tbs gluten-free tamari
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of cauliflower steaks. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Use spatula to flip steaks and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower bakes, heat 1 tbs olive oil in small saucepan at medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute until onion is translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add butter, tamari and cornstarch and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Turn heat down and let gravy simmer for 10 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- When cauliflower is done, remove from oven, transfer to plates and top with gravy.