One of my very favorite food holidays, Cinco de Mayo, is coming up this Monday. I love the standard Mexican fare- tacos, guacamole, enchiladas-but I decided to whip up something a little different to celebrate with this year. Today’s Margarita Cookies with Lime Coconut Frosting are basically a party in your mouth. They are light, fluffy and slightly tangy, making them a perfect dessert to enjoy after a spicy dinner. Fiesta Casserole anyone? Because I love holidays so much, stay tuned for a second Cinco de Mayo recipe tomorrow…
makes 10-12 cookies
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 tbs agave
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 batch Lime Coconut Frosting (recipe below)
- optional– dried unsweetened shredded coconut for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix together dry ingredients- almond flour, baking soda, salt and lime zest- in a medium bowl. In a small bowl combine wet ingredients- coconut oil, agave, vanilla extract and lime juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Roll dough into small balls about 1″ thick and place on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes, until cookies are slightly browned on edges.
- Let cookies cool completely. Spread about 2 tsp of Lime Coconut Frosting on each cookie. Put cookies in refrigerator for about 10 minutes to let frosting firm up. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and enjoy!
Lime Coconut Frosting
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, liquefied
- 1/4 avocado, mashed
- 1 tbs agave
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs lime juice
- To liquefy coconut butter, place jar in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes. Stir until malleable and scoop out desired amount.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.