No party would be complete without finger food, right? As our Virtual Vegan Birthday Potluck Party continues, I’m very excited about today’s recipe for Tofu Popcorn Chick’n from Shae at thevedge.com. Shae’s website is full of so much gluten-free, vegan goodness, plus her story about how she is using food to overcome her health issues is truly inspiring.
In Shae’s words…
“Vegan and gluten free coated tofu chick’n pieces. Throw in a lettuce wrap, eat with chips, or serve them as an appetizer.”
Tofu Popcorn Chick’n
What you’ll need:
- 350g / 13oz block firm or extra firm tofu
- ⅓ cup chickpea/garbanzo flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp wet mustard (any kind: dijon, wholegrain etc)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning (try cajun or lemon pepper for different flavors)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓ – ½ cup water
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- Press tofu for about 10 minutes. Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels or clean tea towel, and place heavy items on top to press. I use a heavy chopping board with some weights on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coating.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water, whisking as you go. The coating should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add mustard and mix.
- Break the tofu into big crumbles into the coating. You can also chop into ‘sticks’ or into nugget sized pieces. I prefer to do crumbles as its less fussy to cook and comes out just as good.
- Combine tofu and coating.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Pour the tofu mix into the pan and spread so the tofu is on a single layer.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown, adding oil as needed.