I like my savory dishes with a hint of sweetness and my desserts to have a little something salty going on. Last week I was in the mood for something a little chocolatey but not too desserty (anyone else feel me?) and these Black Bean and Oatmeal Brownies were born!
I ended up eating the brownies for breakfast and mid-morning snacks. They are full of protein and fiber so they are actually perfect for the morning! You could easily add a handful of chocolate chips to make them more decadent.
Black Bean and Oatmeal Brownies
makes 8 brownies
What you’ll need:
- 1.5 cups cooked or 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil, softened +extra for greasing baking dish
- 2 tbs agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8″x 8″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, use an immersion blender or potato masher to blend black beans until mostly smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until top and edges are crisp.
- Let baking dish cool completely (you can pop them in the refrigerator to speed this us) then slice into bars.
- Enjoy right away or store in refrigerator.