Today I’m going to share a super simple dish that I usually have some variation of about once a week. This Easy Vegan Tempeh and Kale Stir-Fry is the perfect introduction to tempeh for people who have never cooked with it before. I often hear from people that they don’t like tempeh because they find it too bitter. The key to less bitter, totally tasty tempeh is to marinate it first. Ideally you should aim to marinate your tempeh for about 20 minutes but if you’re short on time 10 minutes will do the trick.
This dish is wonderfully simple and tasty on it’s own but it can also be used as a starting point for adding in your favorite vegetables. My go-to combo is to start here and add mushroom and broccoli. A little drizzle of tahini on top doesn’t hurt either!
- 1.5 tbs tamari (or soy sauce if not gf)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- optional- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 8oz package of tempeh, cut into ½" cubes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cups kale, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together the tamari, liquid smoke, garlic and agave.
- Add tempeh and stir until all pieces are coated. Let tempeh marinate for at least 10 minutes (the longer, the better!)
- Heat coconut oil at medium-high in a pan on the stove. Add onion and tempeh and sauté for 10 minutes, until edges of tempeh are brown.
- Turn heat to medium and add kale. Sprinkle a little tamari over kale and stir until kale wilts (2-4 minutes).
- Transfer to plates, top with avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper.