How amazing are perfectly fluffy biscuits? I’ve been on a mission for a little while now to make vegan and gluten-free biscuits that are as cloud-like as the Bisquick baked goods from my childhood. I’m elated to say that it’s finally happened, with a little recipe tweaking my biscuits are now light as air!
I had some left over Daiya Cheese from making Cheesy Kale Nachos (have you tried them yet??) last week so I decided to take the recipe up a notch and make Vegan Cheddar Biscuits. I like the added texture and flavor from the cheese but they are just as tasty if you choose to omit it. I made a sandwich with a little Earth Balance Buttery Spread and strawberry jam…lets just say it was pretty magical.
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) or coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup shredded vegan cheddar chesse
- Preheat oven to 450°. Grease baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir apple cider vinegar into milk and let sit at least 5 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Stir in melted earth balance (or oil) then slowly add milk as you stir.
- Mix in cheese, then use hands to form batter into balls about 2" thick. Drop each ball onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges are firm. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.