Do you ever start out in the kitchen making one thing but end up getting inspired to create something entirely different? That’s the story for about 90% of the recipes here at The Colorful Kitchen and today’s Vegan, Gluten-Free Blueberry Quinoa Cornbread is no exception! I had some blueberries leftover from making Blueberry Scones a few days ago so I decide to make blueberry muffins, which turned into blueberry cornbread muffins, which turned into me thinking about the cornbread from Angelica Kitchen (remember my ode to it?). I love their unique macrobiotic-style cornbread that uses brown rice and oats, so I decided to adapt their recipe but feature quinoa and blueberries instead of brown rice.
I’m so happy with how it turned out! Like the cornbread from Angelica, my recipe isn’t fluffy like some cornbreads but instead it’s satisfyingly hearty- in the best way possible! Packed with protein, fiber and only sweetened with apple juice, I’ll definitely be enjoying it for breakfast. I spread a little Earth Balance Buttery Spread on a warm piece and O.M.G….it’s a serious must-try.
It’s important to let the cornbread cool completely before slicing, that way it has a chance to set and it won’t be crumbly. I do highly recommend placing the individually pieces in a toaster oven before enjoying!
- ½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup blueberries
- In a small saucepan, bring 1¼ cups of water and quinoa to boil. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients (including cooked quinoa) in a large bowl an stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.
Ready to jump-start healthy eating habits with 21 days of colorful recipes? Get started today!