I’m in vegan, gluten-free heaven. Vegan, gluten-free mac n’ cheese heaven to be specific, and I have cauliflower to thank for it.
Originally I set out to use a leftover head of cauliflower to make a cheese sauce to pour over broccoli. It turned out surprisingly thick and creamy and I realized it would be the perfect sauce for mac n’ cheese. Today’s Baked Cauliflower Mac n’ Cheese really hits the comfort food spot- but is totally good for you! If you can’t wait to get your macaroni on you can simply stir the sauce into pasta and enjoy, but my favorite part of this dish is how crispy the top gets after it’s baked in the oven. Mmmm.
I used quinoa shells in the photos but feel free to use your favorite pasta of choice. I ended up only using about 3/4 of the cheese sauce that the recipe made which was perfect because I got to serve the rest over broccoli as originally intended- which was so good, I highly recommend trying it.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 2 tbs tamari
- 2 tbs vegan cream cheese (I used Daiya)
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast+ extra for sprinkling
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 servings pasta of your choice
- pinch of paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bring medium pot of water to boil. Add cauliflower and boil for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare pasta according to directions on package.
- Drain cauliflower. Prepare cheese sauce by combing cauliflower in blender with all ingredients (except pasta and paprika). Blend until completely smooth.
- When pasta is finished cooking, stir in as much cheese sauce as needed (I used ¾ of batch).
- Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and paprika. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges are golden. Serve warm.