I’ve mentioned before that as kid I was a super picky and plain eater. There were many fruits and vegetables that I didn’t try until I was in my late teens-early 20’s (I know, crazy!). Once I started experimenting with trying new foods I felt like the whole world opened up- I suddenly loved going out to all different kinds of restaurants like Indian and Korean and cooking at home became a time for much trial and error.
One of the last veggies I learned to cook was beets. They felt a little overwhelming and slightly boring (which I now know is not true!) and I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. Today I’m going to share an unbelievably simple beet recipe that even kitchen newbies will find easy. This Vegan, Gluten-Free Creamy Beet Salad uses just a handful of ingredients but it’s so full of flavor and color it will feel like quite the fancy dish.
This salad is great on it’s own as a side dish or it can be incorporated into a salad like in the photos below. I simply tossed kale with olive oil, added a scoop of beet salad and half an avocado then topped it all with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- 4 medium beets
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 tbs vegan mayonaise (I used Veganaise)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbs lemon or lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Peel beets and cut into quarters. Add to pot of water and boil for about 15 minutes (or until tender).
- Drain pot and run beets under cold water until beets are cool. Slice pieces into matchstick shapes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Store in refrigerator.