I’m usually not a huge fan of faux meat products. I love nuts, lentils, beans, tempeh and homemade veggie burgers and find that I get enough hearty protein without having to open the veggie burger freezer at the grocery store. More often than not, vegan meat alternatives tend to be highly processed and made from some pretty questionable ingredients- until recently!
Lately I’ve noticed a huge improvement in the quality (aka pronounceable ingredients) of meat and cheese alternatives out there- and it warms my heart! When Neat generously sent me their vegan meat and egg replacements I was super excited to see their short ingredient lists comprised of nuts, beans, oats and spices…my kind of ingredients!
I have to say that I was super impressed with how the neat meat turned out. The flavor didn’t feel too fake meaty (think Boca burger) and it browned up nicely as it cooked in the pan, creating the perfect texture for…pizza!
I’m very excited to share today’s Vegan+ Gluten-Free Neat Lovers Pizza!! After sharing my Easy Chickpea Crust Pizza a couple of weeks ago I decided to create a slightly more elaborate version and I think this recipe did the trick. The recipe makes 2 large or 4 small servings.
I’m looking forward to seeing what the neat egg can do for my baked goods!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- dash of salt
- ½ package Neat (see link above)
- 1 tbs Neat Egg (see link above)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup marinara or pizza sauce
- ½ cup vegan cheese (I used Daiya mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, water, 1 tsp olive oil and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- To prepare crust, spread mixture out in a circular shape (Or multiple circles if making individual pizzas) until it's about ¼" thick.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until edges are slightly crispy.
- While crust bakes, prepare Neat with Neat Egg according to package. Heat 1 tsp olive oil oil in a pan at medium, crumble Neat into pan and lightly fry for 7-10 (until crumbles are firm).
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil at medium-high. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté for about 7 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven. Flip parchment paper and crust upside down on baking sheet. Gently pull baking sheet away from crust.
- Spread sauce over crust. Layer onions and mushroom over sauce, add Neat crumbles and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes. Slice and enjoy right away.