Now that Halloween is over…I’m onto Thanksgiving!
Recently I shared my Chocolate Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Pie recipe and today I’m sharing a slightly simplified version of that recipe. These Gluten-Free, Vegan Mini Pumpkin Pies with Coconut Whipped Cream are the perfect individual sized Thanksgiving dessert.
I’m also going to take a minute to talk about coconut whipped cream. It’s an unbelievable easy way to jazz up your desserts. It requires a tiny bit of planning ahead since the coconut milk has to be chilled over night. I usually keep a can in the fridge so I’m ready whenever the need for whipped cream comes up.
It’s important to use a can full fat coconut milk (reduced fat won’t work). I’ve heard of people running into trouble with certain brands of coconut milk. I usually use Native Forest or Whole Foods’ brand 365 Everyday Value and they both work perfectly. Here’s my super creamy, light and fluffy recipe:
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Place can of full fat in refrigerator over night or at least 8 hours. When chilled, the milk will separate into cream and liquid.
- Open the can and scoop out the cream. Drain the liquid (I like to save it and use it in curry or soup.)
- Blend the cream with 1 tbs coconut butter (not necessary but makes it extra creamy) and 1 tbs agave or maple syrup. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Ok, let’s make some pumpkin pies!!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 10 dates, chopped
- 1 tbs coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 1 14oz package silken tofu
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Coconut Whipped Cream (see recipe above)
- vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease mini muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Prepare crust by pulsing oats in blender until fine powder is formed. Add dates and coconut oil and blend until mostly smooth (you'll need to scrape the sides down a few times. Press mixture into bottom of each space in muffin tin.
- Drain tofu and combine it in blender with pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and salt until smooth. Spoon about 1 tbs on top of crust in each muffin spot.
- Bake in oven for 20-22 minutes, until edges are firm. Let cool completely before removing from muffin tin. Spoon coconut whipped cream on each pie and top with a chocolate chip.