Happy Monday! Today we’re making a super simple, yet pretty fancy looking, quiche!
I made 3 mini quiches to be exact (hello mini springform pans!) but this recipe for Vegan, Gluten-Free Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Chard Quiche also works perfectly for a larger quiche. My favorite thing about this recipe is the contrast in texture between the crunchy crust and melty inside.
Let’s get to it!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 3 tbs vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 3 tbs cold water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups swiss chard, chopped.
- 1 package firm tofu
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs tahini
- 1tbs tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Poke holes in sweet potato with fork. Wrap in tin foil and bake until tender (about 40 minutes). Remove sweet potato from oven, let cool. Turn heat down to 350°.
- Grease 1 large or 3 mini springform pans.
- Prepare crust by combining flour, butter, water, oregano and salt together in bowl. Knead with hands until thoroughly mixed.
- On a clean surface, use a rolling pin to roll dough out until it's ¼"-1/2" thick. Place over pan(s) and use hands to press down evenly. Dough should cover bottom and sides of pans with no holes. Place aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan at medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned (about 7 minutes). Stir in swiss chard, cover and let sit with heat turned off.
- Combine cooked sweet potato, tofu, nutritional yeast and tahini in blender or food processor until mostly smooth. Transfer to bowl and stir in vegetable mixture from pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture evenly over crust. Bake pan(s) at 350° for 35-40 minutes, until edges are lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool enough until springform pans can be released. Serve warm.