I’ve been a fan of raw cashew cheese for quite a while now. Recently I decided to experiment with baking my cashew cheese to expand my library of nut cheese textures. Today I’m super excited to share a very successful experiment, Vegan Baked Spiced Cashew Cheese.
You can definitely make a delicious raw cheese with a spread-like consistency by simple blending the ingredients together or letting it sit overnight without baking it. What I enjoy about baking the cheese is that a harder outside “rind” is created and the inside is still super creamy. Simply put…YUM.
The recipe calls for an all-purpose seasoning blend. I used this one but feel free to get creative!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- water, added as needed
- all-purpose seasoning blend
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Combine all ingredients (except paprika and seasoning blend) in blender or food processor until smooth. Add just enough water to help things blend smoothly.
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth. Pour cheese mixture over cheesecloth. Place in refrigerator and let sit overnight.
- Form mixture into round and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with paprika and seasoning blend.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 250°, until edges are firm and slightly darkened. Let cool before enjoying.