This coming Sunday is the Academy Awards, aka Oscar party night where we eat lots of popcorn!
Usually my favorite way to enjoy popcorn (always non-gmo) is simply topped with a little salt and nutritional yeast. This year I’ve actually seen most of the Oscar nominated movies (The Theory of Everything was so good!) so I’m a little more invested in watching the Academy Awards. This lead me to come up with today’s recipe, Vegan, Gluten-Free Oscar Party Popcorn Cake!
This no-bake cake has the perfect sweet and salty flavor. I made two versions, one chocolate cake with vanilla icing and one the other way around. Simply throw a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder in to make everything chocolatey! While the actual process to put it all together is super simple, it does require a little bit of planning ahead so make sure you have time to for the cashews to soak and for things to set in the fridge.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4 hours
- 2-3 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs coconut butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 2 tbs vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- dash of salt
- cocoa powder
- To prepare frosting, drain and rinse cashews. Blend with maple syrup, coconut butter and vanilla extract until smooth. For chocolate frosting, add 2 tbs cocoa powder. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Grease 2 small (or 1 large) springform pans. Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, maple syrup, peanut butter and salt. Stir until smooth (4-5 mins). Pour mixture over popcorn and site until thoroughly coated.
- Use your hands to firmly press popcorn into pans. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before removing cakes from pans. Top with frosting.