Today is a very exciting, very cinnamon-y day.
Did you know that vegan cinnamon rolls aren’t that easy to come by? For a little while now I’ve been working on a recipe that captures the ooey gooey cinnamon goodness we all love. Today I am SUPER excited to share what I came up with- I promise you will not be disappointed! Say hello to… Vegan Spelt Cinnamon Rolls!
I opted to go with spelt flour (not gluten-free but many gluten-sensitive people can tolerate it) because it gave the dough a more malleable, rollable quality. The first time I tried the recipe I made the rolls quite large (about 8 in the baking dish), which was tasty but I felt like the filling to dough ration was a little off. The second time I rolled the dough out a little thinner and sliced the rolls smaller so that about 16 fit in the baking dish and the filling to dough ration was much better. I recommend keeping the rolls on the smaller side (hey, you can eat more that way!) but feel free to go with your heart’s desire!
When I served the rolls warm I drizzled a little coconut whipped cream on top. It added a great taste but melted quite quickly! Stay tuned for a follow up recipe with the perfect cinnamon roll topping…
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) of yeast
- 2 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbs ground flax seeds
- 3 tbs warm water
- 3 cups spelt flour + extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbs coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- filling- ½ cup melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), ½ cup coconut palm sugar, 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- Pour milk into a small bowl and add yeast and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes, until bubbles form.
- Prepare flax "egg" by stirring flax seeds together with 3 tbs warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut palm sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add flax "egg", coconut oil and vanilla extract to bowl of milk and stir. Add contents to large bowl of flour and stir throughly.
- Use your hands to knead dough for a minute or two. Form dough into ball, place back in bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Prepare filling by string together vegan butter, ½ cup coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Grease a 9" x 12" (or equivalent size) baking dish. Sprinkle extra flour on a clean surface.
- Punch dough down, then use a rolling pin to roll it out to rectangle ¼" - ½" thick.
- Spread filling evenly over dough. Start on one end, gently rolling dough into log. Spread a little vegan butter over a knife and slice the roll into 1"-2" pieces.
- Place pieces in baking dish. Cover with a towel, place in a warm spot and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake rolls at 375° for 22-25 minutes. Serve warm.