On a super chilly day last week, I had a crazy craving for Cauliflower Mac n’ Cheese. Since it was just so cold out and I’m totally over winter, I decided to see if I could throw something together without venturing out for ingredients. I didn’t have the the main ingredient, cauliflower, but I did have a sweet potato so I crossed my fingers and gave it a try.
I’m thrilled to say that the Vegan, Gluten-Free Sweet Potato and Kale Mac n’ Cheese experiment was beyond successful. Using roasted sweet potato as the base made for a very creamy, flavorful and colorful “cheese”. I also added kale for texture and color and decided to serve it straight out of the pot instead of baking it.
For the pasta I used the brown rice spirals that I had on hand instead of elbows or shells but any kind of pasta will work wonderfully.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 package pasta of your choice
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°. Poke holes in sweet potato and wrap in foil. Bake until tender (45- 60 mins).
- While the potato bakes, prepare pasta according to instructions on container.
- Remove potato from oven and peel away skin when it's cool enough to handle.
- Place in blender with all ingredients (except kale) and blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, heat kale with a tablespoon of water until wilted. Stir in sauce and pasta and heat until warm.
- Transfer to plates and enjoy right away!