Before the weather really warms up, today I have one last chilly-day recipe I’ve been waiting to share with you.
I made these Vegan, Gluten-Free Quinoa Corn Muffins a few weeks ago when it was still below 30° and winter felt like it would never end. I served them alongside chili and topped them with Earth Balance. They are so hearty and warming- the absolute perfect comfort food!
Now that it’s (thankfully) much warmer I plan to make them to go with raw soup (gazpacho would be perfect!) and with BBQ’d veggies. The quinoa and whole corn kernels give them a really unique texture, not to mention they are packed with protein!
- 1 tbs ground flax seeds
- 3 tbs warm water
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal (I use medium-grind)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a mini muffin tin.
- Prepare flax "egg" by combining ground flax seeds with water in a small cup.
- In another small cup, whisk together milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add in flax "egg", milk and all remaking ingredients. Stir thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin tin so each spot is about 90% full. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool before removing.