My favorite meals are often ones that have a lot of different components all on one plate. The best way I’ve found to balance my love of salad-bar-type meals with keeping things simple has been to utilize the macro bowl template for anything and everything.
Today’s Vegan, Gluten-Free Lentil, Tempeh & Spinach Salad Bowl is basically an assortment of all my favorite things. I make this recipe for lunch all the time and I usually try to prepare the lentils and tempeh ahead of time so lunch is easy breezy.
I used a super simple tahini dressing that is also great to make in bulk and store in the fridge.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my Tempeh “Reuban” Bowl as well!
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package tempeh
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Dressing: 3 tbs tahini, juice of half a lemon, 2 tsp maple syrup, 1 tbs tamari, water (added as needed)
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- In a medium pot, bring the lentils and vegetable broth to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Prepare tempeh by cutting it into cubes. Toss with 1 tbs tamari and let marinate for 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat olive oil at medium heat. Add tempeh and sauté until all sides are lightly browned (7-10 minutes).
- Prepare dressing by stirring all ingredients together. Add water as desired to thin out dressing.
- Toss spinach with half the dressing. Transfer to plates. On each plate, add a serving of lentils, tempeh, sauerkraut and avocado slices.
- Drizzle remaining dressing on top.