Over the weekend I picked up the most perfectly fresh, sweet summer blueberries. After using some of them in this rainbow salad I decided to I needed to finally make the Vegan Blueberry Lemon Loaf I’ve been dreaming up since I started spotting blueberries at the farmers markets this season.
I’ve always been a fan of banana bread, coffee cake and other bread-y treats (especially as afternoon snacks and for brunch). I love this recipe because it’s just-sweet-enough, both hearty and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside (especially when you toast slices). I sprinkled a little coconut sugar on top before baking, which adds a delicious crispy caramelized texture.
I used my mini loaf pan and made a few small loaves (mostly because they’re cute) instead of a large one. At this size I baked the loaves for 25 minutes, so if you use a stander 9″ x 5″ loaf plan you’ll want to add 10-15 minutes of baking time.
I opted to use spelt flour for this recipe. Regular wheat or Gluten-Free Baking Flour should work as well. If you don’t have fresh blueberries on hand, frozen should work as well!
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, stir together coconut oil, maple syrup, milk, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add contents small bowl to large. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Fold in blueberries.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan so it's about 90% full. Sprinkle coconut sugar on top.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes (depending on size of pan) until loaf is puffy and golden brown.
- Let cool before removing from pan.
Speading coconut butter on top is an absolute must.