It’s chilly, windy and the leaves are starting to change…pumpkin pie season is officially here!!
Last year I shared a few pumpkin pie variations and earlier this week I decided to retest the recipes and come up with a new and improved pie! Today’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Decorative Spelt Crust is a slightly more refined (and way fancier) version of last year’s desserts. The main difference is that I doubled the amount of pumpkin puree and added a spelt* crust.
Ok, let’s talk about this crust. I decided to go all out and use pie crust cutters to create the most autumnal pie ever. I’m a little obsessed with this tool so don’t be surprised if leaf shapes start popping up in all my recipes! Of course, if cutting fall-themed shapes out of pie crust isn’t your thing, you can always do a lattice crust or skip the top crust entirely.
This recipe will make one regular size pie. I decided to split the recipe and make one mini pie and 10 mini-muffin pies. The baking time will vary depending the size of your pie, but I found that the mini pie baked for 32 minutes and the mini-muffin pies baked for 25 minutes.
*For those not in the spelt flour loop- spelt contains lower amounts of gluten than wheat, but is NOT gluten-free. I find it much easier to digest than wheat and it’s become my go-to for baking. For a gluten-free pie crust, try my oat and date crust from this recipe.
- ⅔ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 cups spelt flour+ extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- dash of salt
- 1 14oz package silken tofu
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- dash of salt
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease pie dish or mini muffin tin
- To prepare crust, pulse butter, flour, 2 tbs coconut sugar, ¼ cup water and salt in food processor until thoroughly combined. Scoop out dough, roll it into a ball and chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling, drain tofu and combine it in blender with pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface. Cut ball of dough in half. Use a rolling pin to roll out half of the dough until it's about ⅓" thick. Gently transfer to pie dish and use your fingers to press into place, removing excess from edges.
- Repeat process to roll out remaining dough. Use pie crust cutters to cut out shapes.
- Spread filling over pie crust. Top with cut-out crust shapes. Sprinkle coconut sugar on top.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes (depending on size of pie), until edges are golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.