Even though Halloween has come and gone, I’m still still on a total pumpkin roll!
Recently we had a fall themed brunch and I decided to pumpkin-ize my favorite brownie recipe. I’m happy to say that today’s Vegan Pumpkin Double Chocolate Brownies were a super hit at the brunch!
These brownies super rich, chocolatey and fudge-like. They are loaded with chocolate chips, coconut sugar and vegan butter so they aren’t exactly the healthiest treat out there (prefer healthier brownies? try these) but they are perfect for a party!
Ps- have you entered the Dream vegan yogurt giveaway yet? We’re giving away $120 worth of products and coupons and there’s still time to enter before it closes on Wednesday!
- 1.5 cup pumpkin puree (or 1 can)
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
- dash of salt
- 1 tbs ground flax seed
- 3 tbs warm water
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup + ¼ cup chocolate chips + extra for sprinkling, divided
- ⅓ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tbs non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Prepare pumpkin layer by stirring together pumpkin puree, cornstarch, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare flax "egg" by stirring together flax and water. Let sit for 10 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Heat a small saucepan on stove at low heat. Add ½ cup chocolate chips and butter. Stir until completely melted. Turn heat off and stir in flax "egg", milk and vanilla. Stir everything together until smooth, then stir into large bowl.
- Mix until everything is thoroughly combined. Fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Spread batter out evenly in baking dish. Use a spatula to spread pumpkin layer on top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (less time for fudgy brownies, more time for cakey brownies), until edges are crisp. Let brownies cool completely before slicing.
Did I mention the brownies go perfectly with Pumpkin Apple Spice Muffins?