I’m so excited today to share one of the most vibrantly colored recipes I’ve ever made!
I’ve noticed that Baby V is especially drawn to bright, colorful foods (runs in the family!), so I was very excited to introduce her to beets last week. I came up with today’s Vegan & Gluten-Free Hot Pink Beet-Cauliflower Puree, as a recipe that features beets and would hopefully appeal to her, as well as Ross and myself.
The results? She loved it! I was actually a little surprised, because it ended up being quite garlicky, but not only did her eyes widen at the vibrant hue, she completely cleaned her plate! I should also mention that Ross and I loved it too, and it’s definitely not a “baby food.”
For Ross and myself, I served the puree as a component in a macro bowl (photo below). The earthy flavor and creamy texture was the perfect addition to a plate full of lentils, sautéed kale, avocado, sauerkraut and cashew cheese sprinkles. I can also see it being great as a mashed potato substitute, alongside a hearty veggie burger or tofu steak.
- 1 large beet, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium cauliflower crown, broken into florets
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper, added to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the beets to the pot and boil for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the cauliflower and potato to the pot, and boil everything for 10-15 more minutes, until everything is tender.
- Drain the pot and transfer the vegetables to a blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until completely smooth. Serve warm!
Are you interested in seeing other recipes that Baby V loves? Let me know in the comments!