Who doesn’t love sweet potatoes? They’re so flavorful and incredibly versatile! We’ve made hummus, burgers, soup and tacos using sweet potatoes, and today I’m excited to share a dessert recipe with my favorite not-so-secret ingredient. Today’s Sweet Potato Oatmeal Cookies are the delightful result of a kitchen cookie lab experiment. The texture is pretty unique, it reminds me of a mix between an oatmeal cookie and a sweet potato pancake. I’m very curious to hear what you guys think!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Cookies
makes 10-12 cookies
What you’ll need:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs agave
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped dates (or raisins)
- dash of salt
- optional– 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened
- optional– 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Poke holes in sweet potato with fork. Wrap in tin foil and bake until tender (about 40 minutes).
- Remove sweet potato from oven, let cool. Turn oven heat to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, vanilla, agave, coconut oil, flax, baking powder, cinnamon salt and dates.
- Remove skin from sweet potato. Mash sweet potato into batter and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Wet hands and roll batter into 1″ thick balls. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cookies cool, then spread coconut butter on top and drizzle with shredded coconut (if using).