Any other cornbread fans in the house??
I’ve always loved cornbread, even as a kid when we would make the super unhealthy boxed mix kind! Luckily today I’ve upgraded my ingredients and have a recipe that you can feel good about eating!
Today’s Vegan Rosemary Spelt Skillet Cornbread really takes the
cake cornbread! I used smoked paprika which adds a slightly spicy smokey flavor that goes perfectly with the rosemary. I baked it in a cast iron skillet which adds an extra crispy crust, but if you don’t have one on and a glass baking dish will definitely do.
- 1 tbs ground flax
- 3 tbs warm water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 10" skillet.
- Prepare flax "egg' by stirring ground flax together with warm water in a small bowl. Let sit 10 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary and paprika.
- In a small bowl, stir together almond milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Add contents of small bowl to large and mix thoroughly. Fold in corn kernels.
- Transfer batter to skillet and press down evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, until edges are crips and golden. Let it sit until cool enough to handle, then serve warm.
Did I mention it goes perfectly with chili?
ps- this cornbread is one of the recipes in The Colorful Kitchen guide to Vegan Thanksgiving! Click on the photo below to download your free copy…