In the past few months I’ve shared a bunch of bean-based desserts (the most recent being Chickpea Cookie Cake) and today I’m excited to share my latest protein-packed cookie recipe. This recipe for these Vegan, Gluten-Free Chickpea Thumbprint Cookies was originally posted on MindBodyGreen.com last week and you can read all about the cookies here or check out the recipe below.
After the article ran on MBG I received a bunch of comments that some people call this kind of dessert a “birds nest cookie”- how cute is that? I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of that before but it’s definitely what I’ll be calling them from now on!
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-ounce can
- ½ cup nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, cashew..)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup agave or ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup jam or 100% fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Combine chickpeas, peanut butter, vanilla extract, agave, baking powder and salt in blender until mostly smooth. The batter will be a little thick so you may need to scrape the sides down a couple of times. I like to leave a slight texture.
- Transfer batter to a medium bowl and mix in oats.
- Wet hands and roll batter into balls about 1.5 inches thick. Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Use the palm of your hand to slightly flatten balls on top. Use your thumb to press an indentation into the center of each cookie. Spoon 2-3 tsp. of fruit spread into each indentation.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until cookies are firm on edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool before enjoying.
Don’t forget there’s still time to enter the 21-Day Colorful Kitchen Meal Plan Giveaway!! To enter to win, simply share one of my posts about the giveaway on Facebook, twitter orinstagram– be sure to tag me so I can enter you in the giveaway. I’ll be announcing the winner at the end of the week!