My mom, Lynne, is one of the many people who go totally crazy for Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes every year. Recently Food Babe investigated what’s actually in my mom’s favorite fall drink- the answer is a whole bunch of very scary ingredients, tons of sugar and absolutely no pumpkin! On top of that, even if you order it with soy milk to make it vegan there is actually still milk in it!
My mom was pretty upset when I told her about this- especially the part about milk since she doesn’t eat dairy. To cheer her up, I decided to make a much cleaner version- Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte.
I’m not really a coffee drinker (I like to have green juice or kombucha for a pick-me-up) but I could definitely get used to this latte! It’s basically like drinking a warm glass of pumpkin pie. I used decaf coffee but next time I think I’ll experiment with herbal coffee. I topped it with vegan rice milk whipped cream (found at Whole Foods) which tasted great but I had a little trouble with the nozzle (anyone else?). You can also use my coconut whipped cream– just make sure to plan for refrigerating the coconut milk overnight.
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tbs pumpkin puree
- 2 tbs non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- optional toppings- vegan whipped cream, ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan on stove. Stir until everything is mixed and heat to desired warmth.
- Transfer to mug and top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon